News about tiles popping up in Singapore are becoming more common nowadays. Our customers have described the loud thud/popping sounds as resembling fire-crackers, landmine explosions, and even gunshots! It is important to note that if a tile produces a hollow, drummy sound when stepped or knocked, it is more prone to pop up over time. So what are the reasons these pop-ups happen?
- Inadequate workmanship – tilers may have been negligent during the installation process
- Insufficient curing period – other works may have resumed before the recommended time of curing, affecting the integrity of the cement below the tiles
- Humidity – a common and unavoidable problem in Singapore that causes tile adhesive deterioration due to moisture buildup and heat from ceiling lights
- Expansion & contraction – drastic weather conditions resulting in warm and cool temperatures applying immense pressure on the tiles’ structural stability
- Movements – slight tremors caused by new construction projects nearby, or if your unit is situated right beside a heavy traffic main road can increase the probability of popping tiles
How we resolve the issue
The common belief is to hack the entire area’s floor tiles and redo a new set of flooring, burning your pockets and causing lots of inconvenience to the people living in there. Our resolution is to keep the cost to the lowest, while solving your problem in the long run.
- Remove popped up tiles and hollow tiles surrounding the affected areas
- Patch up affected area to level with the rest of the tiles
- Install (overlay) new floor covering above it
With this method, we help you save thousands of dollars shifting furniture, hacking and re-screed the whole floor, hotel stays for the entire curing period, and other cost incurred by the inconvenience!
We have resolved countless cases of popped-up tiles and the rate of recurring pop-ups are near zero. That is because our workers have been trained to and accumulated years of experience in this field, and we use only quality cement to ensure the integrity of the floor is strengthened.
If the tiles at your area of living have popped up, do not panic, avoid stepping on or applying any pressure to the affected areas, and contact us for solutions.
If you like a hard, non-porous single-tone floor that is easier to maintain than ordinary cement floor, then epoxy is your answer. Select a colour of your choice and create a beautiful matt or glossy finished floor for your living or working area. We can also increase the floor’s coefficient of friction with anti-slip solutions!
Popular areas with epoxy floors include offices, warehouses, semi-covered walkways and corridors, garage, labs, and showrooms.
Self-Leveling Cement Works
The magical solution to most, if not all floor surface irregularities. Self-leveling (or self-smoothing) application is an essential procedure as it improves the floor surface conditions by reducing unevenness, roughness, undulations, and other imperfections. There are two types of self-leveling applications:
Underlayment – Applied as a prerequisite to floor coverings such as vinyl sheet, vinyl tiles, SPC, carpet, rubber matting, etc. Usually requires a thin layer.
Overlayment – Applied as a finished surface, often as a prerequisite to epoxy applications or just simply for an industrial-looking concept. A minimum thickness required for stability.
When applied correctly, self-leveling will reduce and prevent common issues such as wobbly furniture, widening of joints on floor coverings, and undulated (wavey) surfaces caused by telegraphing.
We use only the best materials and most experienced applicators as this procedure is not easily acquired by any floorers.